British Railways Class 04 0-6-0DM No. D2284 diesel locomotive
The Drewery Car Company designed many locomotives but never actually built any. The construction work was done under sub-contract in the case of D2284 by Robert Stephenson's & Hawthorns at their Darlington Works. The design originated in 1946 and was developed into the production design. D2284 was supplied new to British Railways Hither Green Engine Shed in 1960. It was based at Guildford from 1962, Ipswich from 1966 and at Colchester from May 1968 until April 1971 when it was withdrawn from use by British Railways. It was sold to the National Coal Board and it arrived at North Gawber Colliery on the 16th July 1971. In January 1976 it was transferred to Grimethorpe Colliery and finally went to Woolley Colliery in March 1978. During its time with the NCB it lost its vacuum brake apparatus as it was no longer required to shunt trains with fail safe brakes. The locomotive was transferred to the South Yorkshire Railway at Sheffield in 1986.